Monday, June 20, 2011

Oh gods

It's Monday morning, the sun has already dissappeared behind rain clouds, Laird's car is dead, I'm nauseous and headachy, and it's hard to reach the keyboard over my burgeoning belly.  It's swiftly a day begging to feel sorry for itself, but I know I can't let myself get started down that road.  As of today, I have four weeks to finish two grant apps and the distance course among a myriad of other annoying tasks.  It's doable, even given my reduced capacity, but only if I stay on task and do what I've set out each day.  And today, it's this module of the distance course and restructuring the CFI grant. But i really donnnnn wannnnaaaa.  Ya know?  It just feels so futile - and our styles are so different and I don't even know why we're bothering except we promised and so feel this need to drag ourselves over glass and salt until we've created something filled with the bitterness of its own production.

Wow I'm definately trending towards melodrama today and I feel so utterly useless.  I can't keep feeling this way.  Empty vessel, right?  I was lying in bed thinking about these lessons.  Not sure how to start - talking bout the lyre/lyric connection perhaps and then word sound - Western wind and Cuckoo to get them thinking about sound and emotion, then the specifics of diction - kinds of sounds and the terminology that describes sound patterns more generally; then rhythm, metre, pace; then rhyme.  There's a lot to cover.  Sigh.

Sounds
Western Wind p23 - sound (sad)
Sumer is icumen in p24 - sound (happy)
Holy Sonnet XIV p44
London p102
Dulce et Decorum p226-7

rhythm, pace, metre
The Windhover p182 - sprung rhythm (echoes images)
To His Coy Mistress p62 - pace
Shakespeare sonnet 55 p36 metre
next to of course god I p229 - pace

rhyme
Shakespeare sonnet 55 p36 - sonnet
next to of course god I p229 - sonnet
When I consider how my light is spent p58 - sonnet
Constantly Risking Absurdity p278 - internal rhyme
The Flea p43

No comments:

Post a Comment