Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day three, how you be?

Ok, so yesterday went downhill fast.  Call it hormone productivity intervention.  Today I've been handling details for the trip and for stuff while I'm away, and I have meetings all afternoon, so I don't have a lot of writing time.  But I do want to keep going.  It's noon and my first meeting is at 1:00.  I'm going to go heat up my lunch and then get back to bullet notes.
  • page 31: she will be tormented as "any roton knawyth the stokfysch" - a particularly middle class metaphor?
  • Page 32 - the first visions she describes focus on Mary; Christ tells her to "thynke on my modyr" and she proceeds to imagine Mary's gestation, birth, and upbringing, later erving Mary.  The descriptions of her involvement in the Nativity story are particularly domestic.  When she follows Mary, she does so "berying wyth hir a potel of pyment and spycys therto."  On the way to Bethleham, she "purchasyed hir herborwe every nyght" and "sche beggyd owyr Lady fayr whyte clothys and kerchys for to swathyn in hir sone whan he wer born, and, whan Jhesu was born sche ordeyned beddying for owyr Lady to lyg in wyth hir blessed sone.  And sythen sche beggyd mete for owyr Lady and hir blyssyd chyld" (page 33).  By the end of the description of this first vision (chps 6&7), she posits herself as a second intercessor.  Christ tells her she will kneel before the Trinity "to prey for al the world" and she affirms that she would have Christ save herself and all the world from damnation (page 34).
  • page 34: Christ claims he will be a "trew executor" for Margery in dispersing the value of her prayers.
Need to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment